Yesterday, I suffered a very specific food craving, the kind that will not go away until you take care of it. I wanted to taste the very subtle flavor of corn tortillas, Monterey cheese, black beans & corn, in baked casserole form. I perused the WWW for recipes, but nothing sounded appealing, so I decided to just make up a recipe & hope for the best.
Ingredients:
1 c of green enchilada sauce
1 can of fat free evaporated milk
1 small tin of diced green chiles
1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine*
1 can of yellow corn
1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can of yellow corn
1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed
2 c shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 c fat free shredded Cheddar cheese
In a medium bowl, mix 1 c. of green enchilada sauce with 1 c. of fat free evaporated milk & one small tin of diced green chiles. Set aside.
In a baking dish, pour in some of the enchilada sauce mix; just enough to get the bottom of the dish wet. Lay down & overlap six corn tortillas. If you really love the flavor of corn torts like I do, lay down a dozen. Sprinkle a handful each of the corn, beans & cheeses over the tortillas. A half handful of onions will do. Pour more sauce on top, about a 1/2 cup? Repeat this pattern until you run out of ingredients with the top layer being the corn/bean/cheese/onion/sauce. Use all of the sauce because the tortillas will absorb it.
In a medium bowl, mix 1 c. of green enchilada sauce with 1 c. of fat free evaporated milk & one small tin of diced green chiles. Set aside.
In a baking dish, pour in some of the enchilada sauce mix; just enough to get the bottom of the dish wet. Lay down & overlap six corn tortillas. If you really love the flavor of corn torts like I do, lay down a dozen. Sprinkle a handful each of the corn, beans & cheeses over the tortillas. A half handful of onions will do. Pour more sauce on top, about a 1/2 cup? Repeat this pattern until you run out of ingredients with the top layer being the corn/bean/cheese/onion/sauce. Use all of the sauce because the tortillas will absorb it.
Bake for about 30 minutes in an oven that has been pre-heated to 375 degrees.
Serve (after letting it sit for a few minutes) with sour cream, salsa & cilantro.
It is a very subtle dish; I wanted the corn tortilla flavor to stand out. You may want to add salt & pepper, but I think it's great w/o it.
*I didn't make it with onion, but I think it will only make it better next time.
1 comment:
This sounds oh-so-good. I am definitely a child of the corn--I loves it.
Post a Comment